List:       vim
Subject:    Re: Filename completion problems in cygwin bash
From:       Hari Krishna Dara <hari_vim () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-12-31 22:23:46

--- Benji Fisher <benji@member.AMS.org> wrote:
> Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
> > --- Scott DF <sdf@expertune.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I am having difficulty getting filename completion to work using Vim 6.1
> >>under cygwin bash.  It works fine in the bash shell itself, but pressing
> >><Tab> on the command line in Vim only produces  ^I.  E.g.,    :e  def^I
> >>
> >>My ideas for searching for the answer have run dry.  Anyone care to give me
>
> >>a clue?
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >>
> >>Scott F.
> >>
> > My guess is that your cygwin vim is not reading the same vimrc as your
> > win32 vim, which in turn happens because you name your vimrc file as _vimrc
> > which is understood only by win32 vim. If you just rename it as .vimrc it
> will
> > be found by both instances.
>  >
> > PS: I am assuming that you know about "nocp" option and that you are
> already
> > setting it in your vimrc. I am also assuming that you didn't explicitly
> disable
> > command-line completion.
>
>       IIRC, vim always looks for .vimrc and _vimrc; the only difference
> between win32 and other systems is the order in which these are tried.
> Also, if either is found (a user vimrc file, not a system vimrc file)
> then 'nocompatible' is automatically set.
>
> HTH                                   --Benji Fisher

Yes, you are correct. I just verified it at :h vimrc. Sorry about the
misinformation and thanks for the clarification, I somehow got this impression
when I read this section some time back. But still it is quite possible for
someone to have win32 and cygwin vim behave differently (and unexpectedly) if
they have both files created for some reason.

Hari