List:       vim
Subject:    Re: [kgergely@mlabdial.hit.bme.hu: set scb diff]
From:       Gary Johnson <garyjohn () spk ! agilent ! com>
Date:       2002-12-11 17:07:56

On 2002-12-11, J?rgen Kr?mer <jkraemer@habel.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gary Johnson wrote:
> >
> >Not that I know of, but that would be a nice feature.  My primary
> >reason for wanting that feature is because of the cursor position's
> >effect on horizontal scrolling.  If the cursor is on a short line in
> >one window, you can't scroll both windows to see the ends of long
> >lines.
>
>   :set virtualedit=all
>
> will let you do this.

Thanks, that works great!

I wanted some way to turn this on automatically only when doing a
diff, so I added this to my .vimrc:

    au FilterWritePre * if &diff | set virtualedit=all | endif

This seems to work reliably even for ":diffsplit" and ":windo
diffthis" commands, unlike the "if &diff" example in ":help diff"
which works only when vim is started in diff mode.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@spk.agilent.com     | Spokane, Washington, USA