List:       viavoice
Subject:    [viavoice] Re: ViaVoice with Slackware
From:       "Dean Oakes" <doakes () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2001-01-23 17:37:43

> I have some problems with using the ViaVoice SDK with
> Slackware-Linux. I have installed the CC-Runtime,
> Dictation-Runtime
You normally wouldn't install both of these. The CC runtime
is smaller and the Dictation-Runtime does CC and Dictation.
> and the SDK and then I have run the hello sample-application.
> The connect to the speech-engine seems to work but when I talk
> into the microphone nothing is happening. The same is with the
> userguru. It just doesn't react to microphone input. The
> microphone is working correct. I am using Slackware 7.1 and an
> ESS-Soundcard.
Ingo,
  You need to double check your 16bit sound. You probably have
8bit sound working but not 16bit. It's a whole other set of
resources(interrupts, io ports, etc.). Mandrake has Sound-Drake,
that checks both 8bit and 16bit. Not being familiar with
Slackware I can't advise how to check your 16bit sound, but it
sounds like your sound support isn't up to the task. You also
have to make sure you are using an OSS compatible sound driver.
DeanO

---
For information about the IBM ViaVoice SDKs and Run Time Kits for Linux visit \
http://www.ibm.com/software/speech/dev/sdk_linux.html. To view the archive of \
submissions visit http://viavoice.sparklist.com. To view the Frequently Asked \
Questions visit http://www.ibm.com/software/speech/dev/faq_linux.html. To remove your \
subscription to this list, simply send a note to: \
remove-viavoice@laser.sparklist.com. If you are experiencing any problems using the \
list, please send a note to viavoice-owner@laser.sparklist.com.