List:       viavoice
Subject:    ViaVoice-DL: Troubles with ViaVVOice
From:       Alex Feinman <afeinman () job ! cs ! brandeis ! edu>
Date:       2000-04-14 18:54:26

Ok, so after 6 months of trying, I *finally* got ViaVoice to work.
It turned out to be something *very* stupid, and I wanted to share
what the problem was. And hopefully IBM can fix it. ;-)

I was doing everything right -- I thought. I was using the graphic
vvuseradm tool (i.e., running it from the AnotherLevel menus). And
therein lay the problem. See, my username is afeinman -- which has
eight characters. So the tool was creating a new enrollment id for
me of 'afeinman1' -- nine characters. Too long. Wasn't registering
and I was getting all those lovely initialize failed, rc = 91-type
messages.

The solution? Just pick a shorter enrollid on the command line.

Sigh. Then, of course, I had to pre-amp my microphone, as the mic,
at least on my sound card, doesn't produce enough volume. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm now up and running, and hopefully will be installing a
copy of xvoice and the like soon enough. Expect more emails. ;-)

Alex Feinman

For information about the IBM ViaVoice SDKs and Run Time Kits for Linux
visit http://www.ibm.com/software/speech/dev/sdk_linux.html. To view the
archive of submissions visit http://viavoice.sparklist.com. To view the
Frequently Asked Questions visit http://www.ibm.com/software/speech/dev/faq_linux.html.
To remove your subscription to this list, simply send a note to: