List:       viavoice
Subject:    Re: ViaVoice-DL: eci.ini
Date:       1999-12-01 16:15:29

I'm actually impressed that you figured this all out on your own.

The way eci.ini actually works is:

1) it looks at the environment variable ECIINI for a path/filename.

2) it  then looks in the current directory

And then if it does't find it it, it basically doesn't work.

By convention, this file is called eci.ini

It's functions are:
 to register all the installed languages, with their voics and phonemes
with the RTK

The eci.ini is generated by the Text-to-Speech (TTS) Engine itself.  In
fact you can generate it with the SDK using the inigen utility.

Since the language engines and ibmeci50.so are shared libraries, the
directrory in which these objects live must be in the library load path
which on Unix is generally defined by the Environment variable:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Later...
Mike

   I've been tinkering with the viavoice outloud api and I noticed that if
   the file eci.ini is not in the current directory of the running program,
   eciNew() doesn't return a valid handle and thus tts doesn't work.  I
   looked through the docs, and maybe I missed something, but I was
   wondering if there was a way to specify the location of this file
   (rather than having to run the app from the same directory as eci.ini)
   or maybe remove dependence on it altogether?

   Thanks for your patience with a newbie to this stuff,

For information about the IBM ViaVoice SDKs and Run Time Kits for Linux
visit http://www.ibm.com/software/speech/dev/sdk_linux.html. To view the
archive of submissions visit http://viavoice.sparklist.com. To view the Frequently \
Asked Questions visit http://www.ibm.com/software/speech/dev/faq_linux.html. To \
remove your subscription to this list, simply send a note to:
remove-viavoice@sparklist.com