List:       veritas-vx
Subject:    Re: [Veritas-vx] Relayout volume from 2 to 4 columns
From:       "Hudes, Dana" <hudesd () hra ! nyc ! gov>
Date:       2010-01-07 21:25:42

I'm not real familiar with MvFs but what you describe is the inverse of a zpool. With \
a zpool, I have one volume with multiple filesystems. I can and do have different \
LUNs for the ZFS Intent Log and actual storage. I can and do have one LUN which \
serves the log needs of multiple pools by slicing (since logs only need at most 1/2 \
physical memory it is inefficient to make each one its own LUN; rather, I take the \
LUN and slice it then give a slice to a zpool for its log device). The log portion \
sounds similar to MvFS. What's different is that I can and do have a zpool with \
filesystems for multiple virtual hosts even though the pool is only perhaps 9 devices \
(of whatever size though all the same size). Splitting off metadata is interesting \
and I need to look into the details.

In regards storage speed the latest fashion is taking a FC SAN and a FC array but \
putting SATA II disk drives into special carriers which somehow connect them to the \
FC as fabric devices (no more FC-AL, it's all switched each disk gets its very own \
'loop' whether its a native FC or SATA FC).  The SD drives are built as SATA so they \
do the same trick with them.

The burgeoning promise is iSCSI + 10 Gbit Ethernet. We're getting new Juniper \
switches in RSN. Of course, noone has ordered 10Gbit HBA for the existing equipment \
even though it's a supported option (it comes with on-board 1G ports).  The promise \
is that iSCSI over 10Ge is faster than FC can go (since the new FC standard, which we \
don't have switches, HBAs or arrays, is 8Gbit).  Smells an awful lot like the \
Ethernet vs. Token Ring war of the early 90s (esp. since FC is a token-passing \
architecture) with the difference that people do have FC switches whereas Token Ring \
switches weren't much of a market success.