List:       veritas-vx
Subject:    [Veritas-vx] SUMMARY: Not enough room on rootmirror....
From:       "Gene Huft" <Gene.Huft () ci ! seattle ! wa ! us>
Date:       2002-10-21 23:50:04

Thanks for the URL Doug, Indeed it was the 2nd of the 2 known issues in
regards to this situation.

Quote from Doug's page, the contribution from Darren Dunham:

"The second issue is there's now a cylinder reserved that is not in
either the public or the private region. I've heard it's for future
cross-platform compatibility stuff. So the way to fix this isn't by
specifying how big the private region is (privlen), but by specifying
where to start the public region (puboffset)."

In my case, I cleared all the plexes off of the rootmirror disk &
re-initialized it using vxdisksetup, specifying the public region offset
at cylinder 1 - vice starting it at cylinder 2.

Disk layout Before re-initialize:
Part      Tag    Flag     Cylinders         Size            Blocks
  0       root    wm       2 -  1419        1.95GB    (1418/0/0)
4096602
  1 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)
 0
  2     backup    wu       0 - 24619       33.92GB    (24620/0/0)
71127180
  3          -    wu       0 -     0        1.41MB    (1/0/0)
2889
  4          -    wu       2 - 24619       33.91GB    (24618/0/0)
71121402
  5 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)
 0
  6 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)
 0
  7 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)
 0

(NOTE THAT PARTITION #1 IS NOT SPECIFIED ANYWHERE...this is the "future
use"
cylinder)

Init command issued to solve problem:
/etc/vx/bin/vxdisksetup -i c1t1d0 puboffset=1

After reinitialization it started the public region in slice 4 at
cylinder #1.

Thanks again!

--Gene

Gene.Huft@Seattle.Gov
Unix Systems
SPU Information Technology
City of Seattle
206.233.7833

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Gene Huft wrote:

> Gurus,
> I have a newly encapsulated rootdisk & went about mirroring the vols
> an identical disk (rootmirror). However when it came to mirror the
last
> volume (opt), it bails & says it doesn't have enough space on
> rootmirror. I think the problem may be that VxVm uses about 1.41 MB
of
> space to do it's private/public region stuff on slice 3??  Of course
> every MB of the original disk was used.
> Anybody have any suggestions/tricks I can use to "slim down" a root
> volume - or do something else that'll allow all the vols to be
mirrored?
>  I'd sure hate to reload the OS, millions of patches, drivers, etc.

No need to reload:
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/pub/mail-lists/ssastuff/
(last link)