List:       veritas-vx
Subject:    [Veritas-vx] RE:Striped and Mirrored Layout
From:       "Whiffen, Richard" <whiffen () ici ! org>
Date:       2000-10-31 19:00:35

Reading Mr. Arnold's post made me think of a quandary I'm going to be facing
in the future.

Currently we have two Firstwatch pairs that are going to become one 4 node
VCS cluster.  Currently two nodes have one A5200 with 22 9gb disks.  The
other two nodes have three A5200's with 22 18gb disks each.

To make things easier for discussion purposes, lets assume that all the
enclosures have 18gb 10,000rpm drives.  The backplanes are split so the
front and back disks have separate paths.  This gives us 4 separate
enclosures and 8 "loops" of disks (2 per photon).  There are a mix of
stripped volumes (database) with mirrors (raid 0+1 or 1+0, take your pick)
and raid 5 volumes (user files) What are some disk layout strategies?

The raid 5 volumes are 4 column with a log disk, but lets assume you can
change that if desired.  The stripped disks are have varying numbers of
stripes, but lets assume you can change or dictate how many stripes you
have.   Basically, you need some raid 5 and raid 0+1 or 1+0 volumes.  How
would you lay them out on 4 photons (split or not, your call)? Now why
didn't I just say that in the first place ;-)

A secondary question:  I'm sure there have been some books and websites
written about this kind of stuff, anyone care to share their favorites?

Rich Whiffen

--
Rich Whiffen
Investment Company Institute