List:       veritas-vx
Subject:    [Veritas-vx] Is it possible to make volume snapshot smarter?
From:       "Eric Boehm" <boehm () nortelnetworks ! com>
Date:       2000-10-18 3:15:35

Is it possible to make volume snapshot smarter? To clarify, I noticed that

1. When I create a 1+0 volume that the there is a mirroring task for each
   subvolume.

     vxassist -b -g rootdg maxsize !vob15 !vob16 !vob17 !vob18 !vob19 \
          !vob20 !vob21 !spare01 layout=stripe-mirror,regionlog fstype=vxfs \
          mirror=ctlr nstripe=7

2. When I create a snapshot on the same volume, it creates a third mirror as
   one big volume.

   I tried something like

   vxassist -b -g ipsvc02 snapstart vol01 vol01-snapshot layout=stripe-mirror \
   logtype=none

   but I got the error

   vxvm:vxassist: ERROR: dm:vol01-snapshot: No disks match specification

   Should I do this instead as adding another mirror and then breaking it
   off. Will that work?

   I know I could try various attempts and see if it works but that could be
   time consuming and I would rather not spend the time if someone knows the
   answer.

Thanks in advance.

--
Eric M. Boehm                               boehm@nortelnetworks.com