List:       veritas-ha
Subject:    [Veritas-ha] Upgrading from 4.1 MP1 to 5.0.. and usual support
From:       "Andrey Dmitriev" <admitriev () mentora ! com>
Date:       2007-03-15 5:45:35

Can anyone recommend best practices and 'gotchas'? (besides following the
manual)

We are upgrading from 4.1 MP1 to 5.0 (to finally get rid of some EMC issues
with trespassing)

Last time I had to do this (MP1), we were forced to upgrade the kernel,
which broke tons of things (particularly replaced some config files which
didn't let the box to boot properly). In addition, Veritas seems to
constantly create some kind of rpm dependency loops, which actually
interferes with any upgrade. Running 2.6.9-11.ELsmp (AMD x64).

In addition I would like to complain about support, since I know there are
knowledgeable folks on this email that can affect things:

a) Linux is poorly supported on the web site (not all versions of Linux are
listed when you open a ticket that are actually supported)
b) I used to be able to call support and find out how I can download the
software, now it seems I need to call 9 to 5, as it's not a 'customer
service' issue. What if I need something in the middle of the night? What
are we paying 24x7 support for? Why can't you just let me download stuff w/o
having to call support? e.g. to download Oracle, I don't even need to
register, not to mention present a valid contract... not to mention that I
don't have time to call 9 to 5 :)
c) Why does it take 3days plus to respond to a web submitted ticket?