List:       veritas-ha
Subject:    Re: [Veritas-ha] Starting services with one node down?
From:       Darren Dunham <ddunham () taos ! com>
Date:       2004-03-31 17:34:56

> Ran into a quirky one tonight. One of my clusters is a bit older than my
> others (VCS 2.0 on Solaris 8) and I took one node out due to a hardware
> issue a couple days ago. No biggie. Next I had to knock all my service
> groups down for some network maintenance (well, didn't have to...but chose
> to in order to minimize risk). I banged out two quick scripts to offline all
> my groups and online them (to avoid the AutoStartList). When the maintenance
> was done I went to online my service groups and got:
>
> VCS:10159:Group ClusterService is auto-disabled in cluster. This can
>         happen if group is not probed on all alive nodes in group's
> SystemList or
>         VCS engine is not running on all alive nodes in group's SystemList.
>
> Was not too surprised by the message because I have a node down, but I
> expected that the engine would still be running even though all service
> groups were offline and my online's would work fine. My question is, what it
> the "best practice" method of starting the services when a node is missing?
> Must I edit the main.cf and change the SystemList's or is there a better
> way?

I would think you could just autoenable it..

hagrp -autoenable <group> -sys <system>

> I thought 'gabconfig -x' or 'gabconfig -c -n Z' where Z=n-1 (number of nodes
> minus 1) would get me going. Not so. Then I thought about ripping the
> "downed node" out of the llthosts file...but I prefer to leave the configs
> unchanged, if possible.

No, gabconfig like that would let the engine actually start when it
would otherwise not because it didn't see enough nodes.  It looks to me
like the engine is up and running, but the service group is
autodisabled.  Very different situation.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com