List:       veritas-ha
Subject:    [Veritas-ha] Netbackup client functionality under VCS
From:       "Robert Watterson" <rwatters () projo ! com>
Date:       2003-05-06 13:26:11

Hello all,

  Anybody have any tips for how to configure Netbackup clients under VCS? I'm
trying to configure a two node cluster with 10 service groups (with 10
associated IP/hostnames). One of these nodes is running a Netbackup Master/media
server, but that function will NOT be under VCS control.  The VCS Netbackup
agent seems to deal only with the Master/Media functions, not client
configuration.

  The question is, how do I set up these nodes as netbackup clients? Using each
host's real name and the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive would certainly back up all
of the filesystems, wherever they may be local, but would make restores and
reporting an nightmare as resources move around in the cluster.  Alternately,
setting up the hostname for each service group would allow me to specify the
appropriate filesystems and would make restores easier, but I don't think
Netbackup is able to handle this (due to local TIR files, licensing, contents of
bp.conf file etc.)

 This seems like more of a generic VCS issue of how to do backups of data within
the cluster than a netbackup issue, per se. Any tips, ideas or references would
be welcome so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks in advance.
Rob Watterson
The Providence Journal Co.