List:       veritas-ha
Subject:    RE: [Veritas-ha] VCS 1.3 - RestartLimit & OnlineRetryLimit
From:       Gene Henriksen <gene.henriksen () veritas ! com>
Date:       2002-03-25 10:54:42

The only two attributes you should need to set are

RestartLimit (how many times the agent will attempt restart before failing
over)
ConfInterval (how long the resource will have to run without faulting before
the internal Restart counter is reset to zero (default is usually 600
seconds).

The OnlineRetryLimit is used to determine whether to attempt to retry the
online operation if the resource fails to come online.

From the 1.3 docs:
When the agent determines that the resource is faulted, it calls the clean
entry point, if
implemented. This is done to verify that the resource is completely offline.
The next
monitor after clean confirms the offline. The agent then tries to online the
resource again
if RestartLimit is non-zero. The agent attempts to restart the resource
according to the
number set in RestartLimit before it gives up and informs the VCS engine
that the
resource is faulted. However, if the resource remains online for the
interval designated in
ConfInterval, earlier attempts to restart are not counted against
RestartLimit.