List:       veritas-ha
Subject:    [Veritas-ha] RE: Purchase Agents vs. Create our own agents
From:       Wanke Matthias <Matthias.Wanke () itellium ! com>
Date:       2002-03-12 19:18:19

Just my two (euro) cent:

We have a mixed extra purchased/self-written agent environment. There are
really two strong arguments against your own developmed agents for standard
applications:
o purchased agents (should be/)are hardened through multiple instances
running at many customer sites (there is always the next IF-clause you will
have to add after you find out about that special condition which made your
own custom agent fail)!
o any decent veritas support will probably not bail out on your custom
agents, but it will take much more time to discover what went wrong! what
are your SLA's with your customer saying about a longer downtime? ;)

If you're the one paying for the licenses or rather the time spent coding:
the cost of a one time license fee + support is easily determined; but what
happens if the coder of your agents leaves for a better job? if he/she is on
holiday on some remote island without telecom - is the the backup admin as
good?

Coding yourself is cheaper, but will it cost less money in the end?
Commitment to standards probably pays out - ok, gotta run and code this
custom Legato Networker agent in my spare time ;o)

Greetings,
Matthias.