List:       veritas-ha
Subject:    RE: [Veritas-ha] Setting up a Cluster environment
From:       Jim Senicka <jsenicka () veritas ! com>
Date:       2000-08-23 15:20:51

D'oh.

Made a mistake on the DMP stuff.
Don Grant just reminded me that it is
a single raid controller unit.

Sorry.

Could always run two A1000!

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Senicka [mailto:jsenicka@veritas.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2000 8:06 AM
To: 'German, Vinnie'
Cc: 'veritas-ha@mailman.eng.auburn.edu'

Vinnie,

some standard rules:

1. Two private networks for heartbeat. I recommend
hme0 and qfeX. This places the heartbeat over different
cards. I also recommend using a low priority heartbeat
over your public/client network.
(After installing VCS, there is an example llttab file
in /opt/VRTSllt/llttab. This will show you how
to set up the link and link-lowpri directives)

2. Two paths to the A1000. This will allow the use of
dynamic multi path in VERITAS Volume Manager
Two channels to storage gives you the best reliability.
Of course the HBA's should be on separate cards as well.
(Slots are going to become an issue if not careful)

3. Mirrored root disks

4. Separate power for E420 dual power supplies

As for the Sybase environment, purchase the VCS Enterprise
Agent for Sybase from VERITAS to allow you to properly
control the database.  The Sybase agent comes with documentation
on standard setup for VCS as well as example main.cf files.

Jim