List:       veritas-ha
Subject:    [Veritas-ha] Who's using what VCS agents...
From:       "Whiffen, Richard" <whiffen () ici ! org>
Date:       2000-07-13 19:33:45

I have some kind of general queries about VCS 1.1.2 and it's agents.

I'm wondering what agents people are using successfully production.  We're
debating on purchasing the SAMBA "edition" vs trying to write our own.  And
it prompted me to wonder what other agents are out there that I should be
thinking about.

Here's what I've been able to sleuth out from the various add sheets, web
sites and such.

Buyable agents/editions:
Solaris: Informix, Oracle, NetBackup, SRVM, Apache, Suitespot (netscape),
SAP, and Samba
HPUX: Informix, Oracle, NetBackup

Agents I've heard mentioned, hinted at, or rumored but can't seem to find
info on:
Solaris: Sybase, NetApp, and EMC
HPUX: Sybase, EMC
NT: Exchange, MS-SQL, IIS and Notes
Linux: (just VCS for linux, nothing more,yet...)

Just FYI:
Firstwatch on Solaris: Netbackup, HSM, Raptor Firewall, Web Server (most web
servers), Sybase, Informix, Oracle, SRVM, Gauntlet Firewall 1

I seem to remember the Sybase agent actually being listed, in fact, I may
have a price quote on it, but it seems to be missing from some of the
"usual" places now.  Someone hinted to me that it was "recalled" but I don't
know if that's true.

I often reference http://www.eng.auburn.edu/pub/mail-lists/ssastuff/
<http://www.eng.auburn.edu/pub/mail-lists/ssastuff/>  for VxVM issues and
scripts and was wondering if the creation of a VCS and VCS agent repository
might be desirable. Espen Martinsen published is SDS agent already
(http://pogostick.net/~esm/documents/VeritasCluster/Agents/
<http://pogostick.net/~esm/documents/VeritasCluster/Agents/> ).  I'd be
willing to try to organize a website of VCS (maybe even firstwatch) agents
and FAQ's if there's a desire and if people would be willing to contribute
their agents to the site.  I have some limited expertise with VCS or
Firstwatch so I'd need to rely on the community at large to compose the FAQ
document(s). I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Rich Whiffen

P.S. how many messages does it take for a new digest to get mailed out?  I
haven't gotten one from the HA list since May, but I noticed a few messages
went through in June and July.

--
Rich Whiffen
Investment Company Institute