List:       veritas-bu
Subject:    Re: [Veritas-bu] SAP backups / Online / Redo
From:       David McMullin <David.McMullin () CBC-Companies ! com>
Date:       2013-12-19 18:31:24

Before we bought, we had the vendors replicate the throughput to prove the system \
could handle the ingest and output. A lot of the sales numbers are one way, not both \
at once. We have 16 LTO5 drives and I can drive all 16 while also ingesting data. We \
use NB Storage Lifecycle Policy to automatically duplicate to tape. The 1st copy to \
the DD990 has a 2 week expiration, the 2nd copy (to tape) has the DR expiration, for \
longer retentions we actually make a third copy. Since the DD990 has deduplication, \
we are able to take the 100TB and divide it into 600TB of tapes... That holds the two \
weeks easily. That 6X was trial and error, we have a lot of data that is encrypted or \
voice recording that does not dedupe, and others that gets great compression.

Using this method, the backups do not queue up, the duplications do. There is no \
timeout to worry about, nor backup windows. We send everything everyday to Iron \
Mountain, so everything backed up to DD goes to tape the same day. Nice to have an 18 \
hour backup dupe to tape in 3 hours...

And there is NO multiplexing. And restores from the DD are at that same speed, so we \
have had restores take less time than backups...

The ONLY issue is tape contention on tape restores for DR, where images are not \
spaced on tapes optimally. We have backup 6 wide, restores 6 wide, and sometimes all \
the images it wants are on tapes already loaded.

We are solving that by working to get DD in our DR location so we are not restoring \
from tape...