List:       veritas-bu
Subject:    Re: [Veritas-bu] How to know biggest client backup ?
From:       <Vitezslav.Jansky () t-systems ! cz>
Date:       2013-12-05 15:44:09

VTL is just another tape changer for NetBackup. You should use media deassign notify \
+ bplabel to relabel unassigned tapes and free allocated space.

V.J.
Odesílatel: veritas-bu-bounces@mailman.eng.auburn.edu \
[veritas-bu-bounces@mailman.eng.auburn.edu] za uživatele O'Connor. Kevin (Business \
Service Centre) [Kevin.OConnor@ESBI.IE] Odesláno: 5. prosince 2013 15:37
Komu: 'Anurag Sharma'; veritas-bu; veritas-bu2
Pøedmìt: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to know biggest client backup ?

Hi Anurag,

Might be a foolish question but have you taken into account that Netbackup and VTL’s \
don’t talk to each other too well ? In other words when Netbackup expires an image \
sitting on a VTL it doesn’t tell the VTL to delete the image from the Disk, this \
means the VTL can fill up very quickly and crash it (as we found out in the early \
days).

Three things need to happen, the VTL drives need to be small, the Max Mounts on each \
media needs to be set low and then you need to run a long erase against Scratchpool \
media (this is the only way to tell VTL’s to delete the images). After setting the \
first two you can script the erases to run every couple of days and that will reduce \
the redundant data on the VTL’s.

If you need more info let me know and I can go into a lot more detail and how we’re \
doing it.

Regards
Kevin

Kevin O’Connor | Storage Management | Service Delivery | IT Services | ESB Business \
Service Centre | www.esb.ie<http://www.esb.ie/>