List:       veritas-bu
Subject:    Re: [Veritas-bu] Ssh style encryption of data transfer from client
From:       David Magda <dmagda () ee ! ryerson ! ca>
Date:       2012-01-10 23:43:35

On Jan 10, 2012, at 17:53, Andrew Stueve wrote:

> On Fri, January 6, 2012 10:31, Rosie Cleary wrote:
>
> > I ran a test recently and found that Netbackup transfers data from the backup \
> > client to the server in clear text. I would prefer to secure the network traffic \
> > without encrypting the resulting backup, do you know of any options to do this?
>
> Enable the Netbackup Encryption option?

The keywords are "without encrypting the resulting backup".

Encrypting at the client means that you lose dedupe and tape compression \
capabilities. Using the Media Server Encryption Option (MSEO) doesn't help in the \
client-server traffic (and you lose dedupe/compression again).

I replied (accidentally offlist) to the enquiry by suggesting IPsec (or any type of \
VPN-like solution really). Over the wire is ciphertext, but it's all cleartext to the \
NetBackup server after the kernel is done decrypting it.