List:       veritas-bu
Subject:    [Veritas-bu]  NetBackup Not Using Backup NIC
From:       Crowey <netbackup-forum () backupcentral ! com>
Date:       2011-03-21 5:46:26

Gidday, with respect to ...

The REQUIRED_INTERFACE option in bp.conf/registry might be what you are after

and ...

Both NICs are on the same IP segment.
addr:172.20.10.23 Mask:255.255.255.0
addr:172.20.10.24 Mask:255.255.255.0
As far as the OS is concerned they are on the same dedicated segments with equal \
weight (Metric:1) in the routing table and probably binding to eth0 first. Run \
bpclntcmd -self to see which interface(s) NBU thinks it is using. My guess is both \
will show up. REQUIRED_INTERFACE only works for outbound TCP SYN requests sent from \
the server. If you are backing up using both interfaces then REQUIRED_INTERFACE is \
not an option. If only using the eth2 then try this- REQUIRED_INTERFACE = \
server-backup. Otherwise to try using static host routes to force the OS to pick eth2 \
over eth0 depending on which IP segment the clients are on if you want your backups \
to use that interface.

I already have REQUIRED_INTERFACE set to the correct DNS name (server-backup).

When I ran bpclntcmd -self I got ...

yp_get_default_domain failed: (12) Local domain name not set
NIS does not seem to be running: (1) Request arguments bad
gethostname() returned: gandalf-backup
host server-backup: server-backup.mf.com.au at 172.20.1.44
aliases:     server-backup.mf.com.au     server-backup     172.20.1.44

You can see that for time being at least, I've put the secondary (eth2) NIC onto \
another subnet to see if that improves performance (it doesn't seem to have helped \
much - but that's a different problem!) - but I had gotten exactly same response \
before I'd changed IP/VLAN.

Cheers
John