List:       velocity-user
Subject:    Re: Couple of glitches building v1.1
From:       "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm () optonline ! net>
Date:       2001-05-29 12:48:06

> Jim McNeill wrote:
>
> Hi - don't know if these have been spotted yet, but I've just built
> 1.1 this morning and found the following. (I don't think these are
> particularly caused by the fact I'm running Windows 98).
>
> Two of the builds failed: docs has a problem finding site.vsl (1.0.1
> was the same),

I think there was a small note output by ant  which looked something
like this :

#
#  Now using Anakia to transform our XML documentation
#  to HTML.
#
#  Note : this step depends upon having the jakarta-site2
#  project located as a peer to the jakarta-velocity
#  directory (the directory that holds the Velocity
#  distribution.)  That means that jakarta-site2 and
#  jakarta-velocity are located in the same subdirectory.
#
#  Please see :
#    http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html
#  for more information on obtaining jakarta-site2.
#

:)

> and the jarsrc target doesn't exist at all. Not sure
> these really matter, but perhaps my pedantry might help?

the docs matters only if you want to rebuild them - otherwise, they are
generated and part of the distro, or should be.

And 'jarsrc' is 'jar-src'.  I'll fix the docs if its wrong there.
Thanks!  This is great feedback.

> Also I see that build.bat  is no longer included, and the docs advise
> downloading Ant. I know that generally Velocity is trying to ditch the
> batch files, but people with my skill level (don't laugh) will feel
> pretty intimidated getting to grips with Ant - it's definitely a
> non-trivial installation. And I see I've already got the binaries on
> my PC four times over; in NetBeans, Tomcat, an eval copy of AnyJ and
> Velocity itself. I took the build.bat from v1.0.1 and modified the
> ant.jar setting to point to the right place in bin\lib. Might I
> suggest that you put build.bat back into the release for simplicity's
> sake?

I personally am 50-50 with this.  I understand the need - however I
strongly encourage you to get ant working - it should be pretty
straightforward -t he ant crew is pretty good about this, and its such a
great tool if you are going to do any serious (or minor) java
development.  Nothing beats

$ ant

(or in your case  c:\project>  ant )

to rebuild all source, and make a jar - even deploy it... lazyness
rules!

One argument (which has some sense to it) is that if you want to just
use it, then we provide a release distribution with all relevant parts
included - the jar, docs, apidocs.   However, if you want to build, then
you might want to get ant installed.

geir

> Cheers
> Jim