List:       velocity-user
Subject:    RE: [OT] JSF and Velocity
From:       "Matthias Wessendorf" <mwessendorf () pironet-ndh ! com>
Date:       2005-07-25 12:25:35

Mike,

thanks for your feedback.

> Matthias, do you really see the need for JSF/Velocity support with the
> availability of facelets?  I know you took a look at it a few days
> ago.

:) Right, I also showed the use of facelets at the ApacheCon EU during the JSF BOF.
However, Facelets for me is nice to *remove* JSP as the "components container" (spec. says, that
JSP is a must).

Currently in jsf spec 1.1 there are some issues with using JSF w/ JSP. Hans Bergsten wrote
about... He showed for example a way to define the page inside of pojos (or XML).

Facelts uses (x)HTML like Tapestry does. That's fine. Also web designers know allready (x)html.

I played with Velocity only for rendering the component(s). So I replaced the java based rendering
in my article for the <h:outputText /> component.

You could use Velocity based renderers inside of Faclets based pages. That is fine!
Faclets contains only "page definitions" and the velocity stuff renders *only* the components' markup
(and not the complete page)

-Matthias