List:       velocity-user
Subject:    Re: accessing $session when using VelocityLayoutServlet
From:       Christoph Reck <apache () recks ! org>
Date:       2004-05-27 6:30:07

Hi,

Andy Cooke wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>[snip]
> As for manipulating/ viewing an XML data model - I thought of starting
> off by doing XSLT transformations on the fly.  For updating/storing the
> data, I thought Castor might help...
>
> cheers,
>
> Andy Cooke

if you are using velocity as the template engine, i suggest you consider
using anakia (with built in xpath support!) or siply JDOM + JXPath or
even any DOM parser and Jaxen or JXPath to do the XML query and retrieval
for the presentation layer. I've used it sucessfully to do online
transformations.
   http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/anakia.html

In the velocity area there is also DVSL - which is declarative as XSLT,
but currently (to my knowledge) it is a standalone application and is
tied to a specific DOM implementation. Thus not ready to integrate into
a servlet webapp. (Maybe you can take the challenge to change the model
to use plain DOM and JXpath?)
   http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/dvsl/index.html

Cheers,
Christoph