List:       velocity-user
Subject:    Re: Anomaly with errorMarkup macro in velstruts example 3  (Related to
From:       Nathan Bubna <nathan () esha ! com>
Date:       2003-10-27 6:21:08

James Roycroft said:
> I do not understand why it breaks. When I try this out with a much simpler
> test case, using '$errors.exist', it works fine. Why would it break in the
> example app?

i highly doubt that it does.  have you tried reversing your test macro so that
you are testing if errors *do* exist instead of testing if they *don't*?

Velocity's shorthand notation for methods (where you can leave off the
parentheses) only works for bean-style methods (i.e. methods prefixed by
"get", "set", or "is") or else values returned by a get(String) method.

in other words, #if( !$errors.exist ) foo #end  will always display ' foo '
because there is no isExist(), or getExist() method in the ErrorsTool.  you
must do $errors.exist().

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com