List:       velocity-user
Subject:    Re: velocity-struts
From:       "Nathan Bubna" <nathan () esha ! com>
Date:       2003-04-25 2:14:13

Andy Smith said:
> I am new to velocity, jsp and struts.  I want to convert
> jsp-struts to velcoity-struts
>
> 1) I'm runing to this syntax, which requires taglib, in a jsp file:
<logic:present
> .....>Velocity doesn't support all taglib.  So how Velocity cope with this
kind
> of taglib?  this is just one that I see right now.  I beleive there are
more jsp tags, > which used with struts, not supported by Velocity.

Correct, you can't use JSP tags directly in Velocity.  Velocity does not
support any JSP syntax at all.  Velocity is an entirely different view
technology with an entirely different syntax.  Velocity's template language
(VTL - see the Velocity User's Guide) does have basic logic syntax (if,
if-else, foreach, etc.).

> 2) Can we completely replace JSP-Struts with Velocity-Struts?

that depends.  AFAIK, Velocity-Struts already supports all you need to
convert a Struts 1.0 app from JSP to Velocity. however, we don't at this
time have support for all new Struts 1.1 features (just the
ActionMessagesTool in the whiteboard area right now).  also, you needn't
replace every page in your app at once.  the provided struts example
demonstrates how velocity and jsp templates can live side by side.

> 3) Does Velocity team plan to put more work to support Velocity-Struts?
> and update the documents?

yes, but we're always looking for others to help.  this is open source.
it's better when more people get involved.
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com