List:       velocity-user
Subject:    A Few Questions
From:       Dan Milstein <danmil () shore ! net>
Date:       2002-05-28 16:33:16

I'm in the process of converting a good-sized site from Dynamo's jhtml pages
(very JSP-like), to Velocity templates.  Loving velocity so far.  I've run
into a few odd things which I'm hoping someone could help me with.

I'm using Velocity 1.2.

 1) Macro names

As far as I can tell, macro names have different restrictions from other
template identifiers (references).  Specifically, when I tried to create
macro names with dashes (e.g. 'user-header'), Velocity wouldn't let me.  I
couldn't find anything on this in the documentation.  Would love to see this
restriction removed or at least documented.

 2) Information in Exceptions

If my application receives a ParseErrorException or
ResourceNotFoundException, is it possible to determine what template
triggered that from examining the exception itself?  Specifically, we have a
lot of templates which include other templates via #parse.  If the
subtemplate has an error of some sort, the exception gets thrown back up to
the app, but I can't figure out how to associate it with the subtemplate
(which I'd like to do to be able to clearly report it).

I do understand that this info is being correctly logged, but I'd also like
my application methods to have access to it (so I can send it back to the
browser to make life easier for my developers, basically).

-Dan

--

Dan Milstein // danmil@shore.net