List:       velocity-user
Subject:    Flexibility versus stiffness
From:       Brad Cox <bcox () virtualschool ! edu>
Date:       2002-01-29 4:09:07

On Monday, January 28, 2002, at 10:30 PM, Anthony Eden wrote:
> I find this interesting because on the one hand having
> everything in one
> file speeds up development and when there are a small number of
> developers on a project maintainance is not necessarily a
> problem, while
> having multiple files (for content, templates, etc.) seems desirable
> when working with a larger group of developers where the roles are
> clearly separated (i.e. graphic designers, content producers,
> programmers, etc.)  I am curious how other developers here feel about
> this.  Velocity favors a clean separation of code and
> presentation which
> is the reason I choose it as the templating language for JPublish (
> http://www.jpublish.org/ ).  JPublish takes it a step further by adding
> even more separation (design, content, glue code, business
> logic are all
> separated by well defined lines) but does it take it too far?  Is there
> a price that is paid by more granular separation?
>
> Sorry if I am rambling, but this has been on my mind for many years now
> and I still wonder what the "right" solution is, or if a "right"
> solution even exists.

It doesn't, no more than a "right" tool exists for working wood.
You keep a bunch of them at hand and pick the right tool for
each job.

Sometimes you want flexibility so diverse developers can work
independently. Sometimes you want stiffness, the opposite of
flexibility; the ability to eliminate every single bit of
flexibility/slack at compile time so that if it compiles you
KNOW that it works.

I use velocity in one of my projects because that project
requires java developers and end-users to work independently. I
use http://virtualschool.edu/jwaa in another to eliminate all
uncertainty at compile time.