List:       velocity-user
Subject:    Re: Putting an application using Velocity in a jar file: How do youdo
From:       Alexander Pokahr <5pokahr () informatik ! uni-hamburg ! de>
Date:       2001-09-26 9:47:32

Hi Tommy,

Tommy Svensson wrote:

> That brings me to another question: Is it OK to include Velocity.jar in
> my jar file and add a Class-path to it, so that my tool will contain a
> private copy of Velocity ? Or do the users of my tool have to download
> Velocity separately and make it available in the CLASSPATH ? This being
> open source I suspect it is OK to include it. My tool is not comercial
> and will be available for free with source code.

Citing from  the description of the -jar option in
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/tooldocs/win32/java.html

"When you use this option, the JAR file is the source of all user classes,
and other user class path settings are ignored."

So Velocity can't be found, if it's in the CLASSPATH.
The location of the velocity.jar has to be specified in the manifest file.

Some discussion on this topic can be found here:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4356783.html

Alex