List:       velocity-dev
Subject:    Re: Appearance of undefined references
From:       Jon Stevens <jon () latchkey ! com>
Date:       2000-09-25 2:23:14

on 9/24/2000 7:48 PM, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@optonline.net> wrote:

> As I think taglibs are a horrible idea, my thinking has always been
> along the lines of <% %> and using java.  I think I will try a
> conversion and see what happens.

:-)

> Except when you are a consultant and you hope and expect to turn a
> system over for others of differing abilities to work on.  It's a real
> issue.   While my client is very technical and *not* a PHB, that can
> also be an issue as well - people have to be weaned slowly off
> commercial software and onto OSS.

Right, but by the time you turn the project over, the problems have been
solved, right?

>>> Aside from the observation that when you use for the ends of the scale
>>> the things that you are comparing, those things will be far apart, care
>>> to elaborate a bit here?
>>
>> MVC. :-)
>
> That isn't turbine then :)

Right, Turbine itself is the M and C. The template language (ie: VM/WM) is
the V.

> But on the 'get to know the technologies before you' theme,
> understanding the commercial competitors to your web construction tools
> is important.

Actually, no it isn't. We are not considered to be in the same ball game. My
motto is that if you "get it" then you are using Turbine, if you don't
well...that is your problem.

Really, I'm not trying to "convert" people from OSS. I want people to figure
that out on their own. Pushing OSS on people is like trying to talk to a
wall.

> No, east coast, Connecticut.

hmm...bummer...if you are ever out here...

I will be speaking on Scarab in NY in January at LinuxWorld I think...

>> p.s. I'm working on my Turbine MVC/Model 2+1 talk right now for ApacheCon
>> EU. If you are going to be there, come to my talk. :-)
>
> If I could I would, but could only expense that travel to the IRS...

:-)

-jon

--
http://scarab.tigris.org/    | http://noodle.tigris.org/