List:       velocity-dev
Subject:    Re: XmlGen Ant Task
From:       Philippe Collignon <phc () starobject ! com>
Date:       2007-09-20 18:50:30

Nathan Bubna wrote:
> The documentation for this looks great! How does this compare to
> other xml-generation/transformation Velocity projects (namely DVSL and
> Anakia).  Not that there isn't room for more, there always is; i'm
> just curious how you think it compares.

Here is how I would compare them. (  I do not know the other
implementations in details
so if I forget some features just tell me ..)

About Process  :
-----------
Anakia
   One XML + One Velocity Template (vsl) => Generated Code
   It is designed to create XML transformations a bit like XSLT

DVSL
   One Velocity Template (dvsl) applied to a set of XML files => Generated Code
   It is designed to create XML transformations a bit like XSLT

Texen
   text property files + velocity template => Generated Code

XmlGen
   Multiple XML files (or file fragments with XPath) + velocity template =>
   Generated Code
   Extension of Texen.  It is more designed to generate code with
   properties coming from XML files than XML files transformations.

About XML Nodes access :
-------------------
Anakia :
  Using jdom API ( element.getChildren(), element.getAttributeValue("attName"))
  Using xpath with velocity handler (I suppose) :
  $xpath.applyTo("expression",node)
  Walking in the jdom tree with : $treeWalk.allElements($element

DVSL
  Write transformation rules like in XSLT
  (#match("document") , $context.applyTemplates()
  Using dom4j API

Texen
  No access to XML files, only property files supported

XmlGen
  Using syntax like "library.books" of "book.name"
  Using XPath expression library.book[@genre='comic']
  Using DOM API on elements

> If it's a large codebase or is intended to be a separate project (as
> opposed to an enhancement to an existing project), then it would have
> to go through the incubator:
> http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator

It does a good job but is not really a large codebase ...just 3 classes !-)

> If it could be refactored to be just a patch(es) to enhance Texen,
> then i think you would just need to open a JIRA issue and attach the
> files there.  Of course, then there's the question of eventually
> getting you commit access so that you can work on it directly, so we
> don't always have to commit your patches for you.  For that to happen,
> we'd want to see evidence that you'll stick around (not just dump code
> once and disappear) and help out on the mailing lists.  So, more than
> anything it's a matter of seeing comittment over time (we're talking
> months, not weeks).  The reason for the high standard is that
> abandoned code becomes a weight on the rest of the project(s) and that
> commit access to one Velocity project means access to all of them.

That might be possible.  Not only Texen code would have to be patched
but also the documentation.

XmlGen is at the beginning, for now it fits my needs but I am sure they
might be some other
feature requests ..  I am ready to make it improved and give some
support.  Regularly but not
more than 1h a week.
> In any case, you should definitely announce your project on these
> lists (as you've done), add some links to it on the wiki (like the
> PoweredBy page and anywhere else that seems relevant), and generally
> promote connection between XmlGen and Velocity.

I  go there a leave a word about it !

Thanks for your answer

Philippe