List:       velocity-dev
Subject:    [Velocity Wiki] Update of "ReleaseProcess" by WillGlassHusain
From:       Apache Wiki <wikidiffs () apache ! org>
Date:       2007-04-28 23:20:24

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Velocity Wiki" for change \
notification.

The following page has been changed by WillGlassHusain:
http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/ReleaseProcess

The comment on the change is:
make some updates with TLP info

  The information on this page is intended for Velocity committers, not as end-user \
documentation.
- (Note - some of the specific paths in this document are out of date now that \
Velocity has left Jakarta and gone TLP) + (Note - some of the specific instructonsin \
this document are out of date now that Velocity has left Jakarta and gone TLP.  In \
particular this applies to details on the Velocity site).
  == Building and Releasing the Velocity Engine ==

  The Velocity project currently is built using Apache ant. This is the canonical \
build and in case of doubt, the results of this build win. While it is possible to \
build  Velocity using Apache maven, the inherently instable nature of Maven 1.x and \
the not yet proven reliablity of Maven 2.x make us feel that maven is not yet 'ready' \
to be used as primary build tool for Velocity.
- Velocity up to and including Version 1.4 uses only Apache ant as its build tool. \
Starting with Velocity 1.5, we will still build the actual release archives with ant \
but nightly builds and especially the web site located at \
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/engine/ will be built using Apache maven V1. Using \
Maven buys us a number of interesting reports and metrics during the build process \
(such as automated Changelogs, metrics, web-formatted test reports and so on). + \
but nightly builds and especially the web site located at http://velocity.apache.org/ \
will be built using Apache maven V1. Using Maven buys us a number of interesting \
reports and metrics during the build process (such as automated Changelogs, metrics, \
web-formatted test reports and so on).
  Apache Maven uses a XML file called `project.xml` and a number of properties files \
to control its build process.
  === Locations and Pathes for Velocity ===

  || '''Purpose''' || '''File system location (on minotaur)''' || '''web location''' \
- || Release location || /www/www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity || Mirrored \
through the Apache mirror system, available through \
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_velocity.cgi || + || Release \
location || /www/www.apache.org/dist/velocity/engine || Mirrored through the Apache \
                mirror system, available through \
                http://velocity.apache.org/download.cgi ||
- || Alpha, Beta, RC location || /www/cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity || \
                http://cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity/ ||
- || Nightly location || /www/cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity/nightly || \
http://cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity/nightly/ ||  || Maven repository release \
location || /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/velocity || \
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/velocity/ ||  || Maven repository snapshot \
location || /www/cvs.apache.org/repository/velocity || \
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/velocity/ ||
@@ -26, +24 @@

   * maven site:deploy -- builds the complete maven site and deploys it to the apache \
servers.
- Due to the fact that deployment happens to the Apache web staging server from which \
the actual servers (which are jakarta.apache.org) mirror the content every few + Due \
to the fact that deployment happens to the Apache web staging server from which the \
                actual servers (which are velocity.apache.org) mirror the content \
                every few
- hours or so, changes are not immediately visible. If you want to check whether the \
content arrived ok on the apache server, use the 209.237.227.195 trick (which is \
using the IP address and port 80 as your proxy host. Then access \
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/ and you get the content directly from minotaur). \
+ hours or so, changes are not immediately visible. If you want to check whether the \
content arrived ok on the apache server, use the 209.237.227.195 trick (which is \
using the IP address and port 80 as your proxy host. Then access \
http://velocity.apache.org/ and you get the content directly from minotaur).
  === Snapshot deployment using Maven ===

@@ -115, +113 @@

   * Copy the sixteen files mentioned above to your personal directory on \
                people.apache.org using secure copy (scp).
   * log onto people.apache.org
   * make sure that your umask is 002! If not, please enter `umask 002`
-  * create the distribution directory: \
`/www/www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity/velocity-<new version>`. Make sure that \
its permissions are set to 775! +  * create the distribution directory: \
`/www/www.apache.org/dist/velocity/engine/velocity-<new version>`. Make sure that its \
                permissions are set to 775!
   * move the .tar.gz and .zip related files from your personal directory to the \
                distribution directory.
   * copy the .jar (and md5 related files) to  \
                /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/velocity/jars
   * go to the distribution directory.
@@ -134, +132 @@

     from your release tree:

  {{{
- svn copy -m 'Release <released version>' copy \
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/velocity/engine/trunk \
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/velocity/engine/tags/ENGINE_<released_version>
 + svn copy -m 'Release <released version>' \
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/trunk \
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/tags/ENGINE_<released_version>  }}}

  (The older tags are a bit in disarray. This will get cleaned up in the future).

  === Build the site docs ===
+
+ (This section is out of date)

   * remove the `bin` and `target` directories one more time.
   * As the site is built using maven, do the following preparations:
@@ -162, +162 @@

    * Due to the volatile nature of the maven site building process, it is strongly \
recommended, that you also back up the distribution tree built on the apache.org web \
site by generating an archive of the tree located under `.../releases/engine/<release \
version>`.
  === Post-upload preparations ===
+
+ (This section is out of date)

   * Change the version in `build.properties` to read <released version + 1>-dev. \
Check this change in immediately using `svn commit build.properties`!
@@ -189, +191 @@

   * Announcement mails should be sent to the following addresses:
    * Apache Announce list: announce at apache.org
-   * Jakarta Announce list: announcements at jakarta.apache.org
-   * Velocity Developmnet list: velocity-dev at jakarta.apache.org
+   * Velocity Development list: dev at velocity.apache.org
-   * Velocity User list: velocity-user at jakarta.apache.org
+   * Velocity User list: velocity-user at velocity.apache.org

  Announcements should have your 'apache.org' email addresse as sender because the \
first two recipients discard everything not coming from an apache.org address. You \
should also use the same announcement text (or something closely resembling it) that \
you put into the news.xml file on the site.