List:       velocity-dev
Subject:    Velocity content-, NOT template caching
From:       "Peter Romianowski" <pero () antaramusic ! de>
Date:       2002-01-30 3:17:16

sorry, didn't know which list is best for that topic, so
I posted it on user and dev.

Hi there,

I'm using Velocity to create lots of "semi-static" pages.
"semi-static" means that the content (the context, not the
template - velocity is doing a great job on template-caching)
changes very seldomly.
So I wrote a kind of "cache", that simply stores the output
of a velocity-template along with a key in a hashtable, so
I don't have to build the (very complex) context upon each
call. The result is: speed :)
I know the technique is very simple, nearly everybody
can build up such a thing on her own, and the usability is
quite limited (but I really think, that there are enough
use cases) but I would like to see this within velocity.
I have further ideas concerning this topic (including
auto-flush of cached content after a certain amount of time,
triggered template generation, cache-listeners and things).
Is anyone interested? Of course, I would like to
contribute the code! But first I would like to discuss on
that a bit more.

Any opinions are welcome!

pero