List:       vcs-home
Subject:    Getting rid of lots of tiny =?utf-8?Q?annex=E2=80=99d?= files
From:       Sean Whitton <sean () silentflame ! com>
Date:       2012-01-23 17:03:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

When I started using git annex I annex'd a few folders full of thousands
of mostly tiny files; there were big files too, hence the use of
git-annex.  I now realise that this is making git slow because it's got
a lot of symlinks to keep track of.  Since I very rarely access these
files I plan to tar up the folders, and annex the tar archives, thus
taking a lot of load off git.

Now that my history is full of loads of tiny symlinks and git-annex logs
though, would it be better to start a fresh repository or will a git
repack remove any performance issues?

Thanks.