List:       vchkpw
Subject:    RE: [vchkpw] vpopmail postgresql support == UGH!!!!
From:       "Charles J. Boening" <charlieb () cot ! net>
Date:       2005-07-18 23:35:48

Casey,

I'm using PostgreSQL support in a production environment.  I actually
have installed it on production systems for customers as well.

Myself and others have done work on the PostgreSQL code.  It's not
pretty but it does work.  It will not create the tables if they exist.
It's not elegant, but basically the code executes the query.  If the
query fails, it assumes the table doesn't exist and creates it.  This
code has been in there for ages (still is isn't it?).  Again, not the
most elegant solution but it does work.

Basically you need to create a view called vpopmail.  You'll also have
to either create a table to store vpopmail specific columns or add them
to your existing structure.  You also need to edit the vpgsql.h file to
match your database, username and password.  I believe the
vpopmail.pgsql file is there to put the database, username and password
in.  I think the vpopmail.mysql one is working but I'm not sure about
the PostgreSQL one.  The reason it was never in a configuration file
before was for efficiency.  That's just one less file open and read.  On
a very busy system, the less you have to touch files the better.
Remember, vpopmail isn't a daemon but a set of programs (mostly
vdelivermail and vchkpw) that run for every mail delivered.  Take a
system handling hundreds of thousands of mails a day and one less file
to deal with may be a blessing.  :)

I don't believe the changes you're talking about are that extensive.  It
just takes a little understanding of what's going on and how to work
around it or with it.  The first time I looked at the code, it took me a
while to get what was going on.  Of course my C could be better and I
wasn't familiar with the PostgreSQL functions.

Ideally a database abstraction layer of some sort would be great.  That
would get rid of a lot of redundant code.  I think the problem is time.
Those of us who have worked on the PostgreSQL support have done it in
our spare time.  The work has been primarily to get it working at all.
:)  The other problem is lack of interest for PostgreSQL support.  We're
the minority in a MySQL world.

As I've said, it does work.

Charlie