List:       vchkpw
Subject:    RE: [vchkpw] moving maildirs to a new home
From:       "Jason Wilkinson" <jason_wilk () stircrazy ! net>
Date:       2005-03-22 19:29:21

Blake wrote:
> Jason Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> Bob Ababurko wrote:
>>

>>> Unfortunately, I did a qmailrocks install this time around and it
>>> used some abnormail uid:gid of 1009:1004, respctively.
>>>
>>> When you say, "change UID and
>>> GID accordingly"...what do you mean by that?  I have changed the
>>> assign uid:gid to 1009:1004, but that does not seem to work.
>>>
>>> I believe that something else other than the assign file is is
>>> causing my original 89:89 files on the 1009:1004 machine to talk
>>> back.
>>>

>> Have you tried "re-chowning" the files to be truly owned by the new
>> UID/GID?
>>
>> I'm just making this up as I go, so it's almost certain not to work
>> as is...but try something like.
>>
>> chown 89:89 `find /home/vpopmail -user 1009` \
>> && chown 89:89 `find /home/vpopmail -group 1004`
>>
>> OR
>>
>> chown -R --from=1009 89 /home/vpopmail
>> chown -R --from=:1004 :89 /home/vpopmail
>>

>>> I am not aware of what, but something tells me that I will
>>> figure it out before it all is over.  I really would rather figure
>>> out how this works as oppsed to adding all the accounts by hand.
>>> Not only is this ugly, I am not aware of how my system is working
>>> while I have a perfect chance to learn.
>>>
> Back to the original rsync.. I think that if you use the right options
> when you copy the dir's you should be fine.. This is how I do it and
> it makes the files EXACTLY the same
>
> rsync -ptog --force --recursive --delete
> rsync://10.0.0.1/vpopdomains/ /home/vpopmail/domains
>
> Of course you will have to change the ipaddress of the master server
> and the share name. But those are the options that work great for me.
>
> thanks
> -Blake-

I think that the problem with that in this situation is that the -p switch
to rsync will set the permissions to the same UID/GID as what it on the
sending machine as a numeric value (89:89 normally). When the sending
machine receives the files it will set them to 89:89 but there will be no
corresponding group. I've done the exact same thing as you outline above
only you have to make sure that the UID/GID numeric values are the same (ie,
vpopmail=89 vchkpw=89) on both sides _before_ you do the file transfer.

If you do the transfer and _then_ set the values to match you will have to
"reset" the permissions as I've outlined above to make everything jive
again.