List:       vchkpw
Subject:    Re: [vchkpw] vdominfo question -- using get_domain_entries()
From:       Rick Widmer <vchkpw () developersdesk ! com>
Date:       2004-04-27 3:04:06

Tom Collins wrote:

> It might be possible to simply modify get_domain_entries() by adding a
> few lines (manually typed and not tested):
>
> With a screwy users/assign file, you will get weird results.  You need
> to be sure that all "real" domains are only aliased to themselves.
>
> For example, this would be bad:

How about if I just do a vget_assign() on the incoming domain name (if
not "") and always know I am working from the parent.  That way there is
no recursive call, and we always make exactly one full pass through the
users/assign file.

The calling function will have to know it can't expect the parent domain
to be the first one returned, and must watch for it.  All alias domains
will have all information filled in.  That shouldn't be much of a
problem.  I plan to store all the alias domain names into an array as
they are encountered then dump the data after get_domain_entries() stops
returning results.

> I agree that this is a preferred format.  Also, if it doesn't already do
> so, vdominfo should exit non-zero if the domain doesn't exist.  That
> way, shell script can run it, ignore the output and check the exit code
> to see if it's a valid domain for that server.

OK.  Do you want different results for 'Domain is a parent' and 'Domain
is an alias' as well as 'Domain does not exist'?  Maybe return +1 for
Domain is an Alias and -12 for Domain doesn't exist, and -37 for Cannot
read assign file.

>> +They are actually sorted as if they were written like this:
>> +
>> +developersdesk.com.mail
>> +
>> +I bet for most people that tends to group customers together.
>

> What about countries like Australia and England:
>
> smh.com.au
> amazon.co.uk

There is already an ifdef that selects between this order and

    com.developersdesk.mail

If you have mostly country codes, that would be your preferred sort.  I
suspect it should be fairly easy to select between these two sorts with
a configure option.  More than two sort options might be tricky.