List:       vbox-users
Subject:    Re: [vbox-users] RfE: Set the DNS-Server,
From:       Paul Gilmartin <Paul.Gilmartin () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2010-02-28 20:22:31

On Feb 28, 2010, at 11:27, Johannes Kastl wrote:

> is it possible to tweak the DNS-Server adress, which the clients geht
> via DHCP when using NAT? It would be nice to do so, I have found no way
> via GUI, and found nothing useful when searching the web.
>
> If it is possible then it would be nice to have it accessible via GUI.
> If it aint possible it would be worth a RfE in my opinion.

Yah, it's a PITA.  I keep a couple resolv.conf in my home directory,
and when I move inside/outside the firewall, I do:

    pfexec cp [whatever].resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

I suspect that VB has no way of telling the guest that the
net configuration has changed.  It's too bad there's nothing
like Mac OS "Renew DHCP Lease" (which might be your RfE).

I'll attach a little script I use to check the DNS entries.
Works on OS X and Solaris; I've never tried on Linux; clearly
useless for Windows.

["pingres" (application/octet-stream)]

-- gil