List:       vbox-users
Subject:    Re: [vbox-users] Memory over 3Gb
From:       "S. Brandt" <sbrandt () gmx ! de>
Date:       2010-02-20 14:54:35

Am 18.02.2010 16:21, schrieb Alexey Eremenko:
> Only 64-bit Host OSes will work.
> As for 32-bit hosts: even Windows 7 Ultimate won't help.
Ah,
a bit OT, but that was something I was wondering about ...
So, it is true that even Windows 7 32bit Ultimate does not support more than
4GB of memory (or rather, the ~3.25GB left over after mapping PCI etc.)

For XP, the main reason (I believe) was that much PCI hardware was unable to
use the 64bit mapped addresses, even though they should - no way to find out
w/o crashing the system.
I had hoped that this has changed with Win7 - but it didn't?
My machine only has 4GB so I can't try myself.

Thanks,
Sebastian