List:       vbox-users
Subject:    Re: [vbox-users] USB troubles
From:       russbucket <russbucket () nwi ! net>
Date:       2009-05-27 17:56:52

On Tuesday 26 May 2009 01:22:15 pm Graham Campbell wrote:
> 	I am having the old problem with all the possible USB attached devices
> being grayed out in the Devices/USB menu item for the guest. This is
> true for all guests. The host is a Fedora 10 system, using the PUEL
> VirtualBox. I know it must be a permissions problem because if I start
> the GUI under the root account it works correctly. But I have not been
> able to find the problem.
> 	Specifically, I created a new user and added it to the vboxusers
> group.I executed "newgrp vboxusers" and then "VirtualBox". I created a
> new VM and added a filter for the USB->Serial adapter that I had
> attached. I start the new machine and the entry for the serial adapter
> is grayed out!
> 	Can somebody point me to all the things that have to be checked out?
> Could it be the host machine locking out access?
Graham this is an on going problem. See the openSuSE forum  at:
  http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/412870-virtualbox-usb-grey.html

My problem appears to be a conflict between VirtualBox and Iscan. Around May
first on this thread there is talk of a solution #4 for this problem. It sort
of works for me. It talks about diabling /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-
default.rules usb node section. This is after copying 50-udev-default.rules
from /lib/udev/rules.d to the above etc directory. In my case, if the above is
disabled all the usb devices work in VirtualBox on my XP guest. If it enabled
then Iscan works but some VirtualBox usb devices are greyed out. I'm using
iscan iscan-2.19.0-4.c2 on an Epson CX6600. The part about removing fstab
entry for usbfs does not seem to make a difference at least on openSuSE 11.1.

People on this forum have said its not an iscan problem and on virtualbox list
its not Vbox. I get the same message you get about not being able to send
command to scanner.

Not sure this is going to help you but it may provide something.