List:       vbox-users
Subject:    Re: [vbox-users] OT: I hope Sun employees revolt
From:       Matthias =?iso-8859-1?Q?Pf=FCtzner_-_Principal_Field_Technologis?=
Date:       2009-03-19 22:57:44

You (Brian J. Murrell) write:
> > Great, I will ask you when there's an odd bug in Virtualbox then and
> > IBM has decided to fire Frank Mehnert  and his Vbox team Virtualbox
> > doesn't suit IBM's agenda of the day and has put Virtualbox in
> > "maintenance mode" (now renamed IBM Wesphere Enterprise Virtualization
> > Server for z-Series") at their research centre in Beijing,
> > incidentally making it "an integral part" of another piece of IBM
> > middleware software junk.
>
> That's just a totally silly argument.  Like I said, VirtualBox is FOSS.
> If there is a bug, Frank is not the only person who can fix it.  You
> could do it.  Any number of people could do it.  If anyone decided to
> "retire" VirtualBox and somebody else, like you perhaps, thought there
> was still money to be made on developing it, there is nothing, at all,
> stopping you from wrapping a company around it and doing so.

And that's one of the GREAT advantages of some of the Open Source Licenses,
that Sun is using mostly (e.g.: OpenSolaris): You can take the source, and
create closed source products out of it! You are NOT forced to give that all
back to the community. So, if any investor feels happy to create a new product
out of it, he can do so...

Sadly, this does not apply to VirtualBox, VBox is handled by the GPL V2,
so this does not apply here... ;-(

Just my 0.02 EUR...

        Matthias
Matthias Pfützner

Principal Field Technologist & Datacenter Ambassador
Solution Architect Virtualisation, High Availability

Systems Practice                      Tel: +49 6103 752-394 (x65394)
Sun Microsystems GmbH                 Mobile: +49 172 8428766
Ampèrestraße 6                        Fax: +49 6103 752-167
63225 Langen                          mailto:Matthias.Pfuetzner@Sun.COM
Germany                               http://blogs.sun.com/pfuetz

AIM: pfuetz, ICQ: 300967487, YIM: pfuetz64, Sun-IM (Sun only): pfuetz
Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer