List:       vbox-users
Subject:    Re: [vbox-users] /etc/init.d/vboxnet missing
From:       Jon LaBadie <jlabadie () acm ! org>
Date:       2009-01-26 15:58:39

Frank Mehnert wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2009, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>> On a Fedora 9 system I've been running VirtualBox 2.0.6.  Skipped 2.1.0
>> but just upgraded to 2.1.2.  Things were fine, guest os booted and ran
>> ok.  But after a Fedora reboot the guest os would not restart.
>>
>> I tracked it down to my ethernet interface (vbox0) was not starting on
>> reboot.  This was due to /etc/init.d/vboxnet being removed by the
>> upgrade.  (BTW it also appears to be missing in the 2.1.0 Fedora rpm)
>> When I reloaded the vboxnet file from a 2.0.6 rpm, things are running
>> fine again.
>>
>> Am I overlooking some change in 2.0.6 -> 2.1.{10|12} the obviates the
>> need for /etc/init.d/vboxnet to start the virtual nic?
>
> /etc/init.d/vboxnet does not exist anymore since VirtualBox 2.1.0
> as hostif networking was completely changed with this release. It
> is now no longer necessary to create a bridged TAP device. Just
> attach your VM to a specific network interface on your host (TAP
> is allowed as well).

> If you still have the 2.0.6 script installed then something
> went wrong during upgrade. In this case, please could you
> execute the following command:
>
>   rpm -q VirtualBox
>
> and post the output here?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Frank

Now that I better understand the situation, I realize the problem
was my not knowing that the networking had been changed.  Perhaps
some notice during upgrade from a pre-2.1 could have triggered
an info message that reconfiguration of my guest networking
might be required.

In my situation, vboxnet went away as it should during the upgrade.
But because the bridged TAP device was still in place, my guest worked
fine.  And, as I did not reboot the vbox host for a week, it continued
to work fine for a good while, through several guest reboots.

And surprising to me, when it began to fail, after the host reboot,
the guest failed to come up at all.  Not just came up with failed
networking, but failed to boot at all.

Regards,
Jon