List:       vbox-users
Subject:    Re: [vbox-users] screen resolution problem with OpenSolaris 2008.05
From:       Bill Shannon <bill.shannon () sun ! com>
Date:       2008-05-23 18:30:00

Michael Thayer wrote:
> Hello Bill,
>
> Sending a size hint using VBoxManage while a VM is running (e.g.
> 'VBoxManage controlvm setvideomodehint 1280 1024 32') should work, and
> should override the limitation.  Fullscreen mode and resizing the window
> using the mouse are also not affected.

Ok, that's interesting...

I don't know what effect the size hint had, if any.  It didn't change the
size of the window and it didn't cause the new size to appear in the
screen resolution preferences.  But...

Apparently I haven't tried resizing the VirtualBox window recently,
perhaps not since I added the guest additions.  It used to be that
when I resized the window or went to full screen mode, the OpenSolaris
screen remained the same size and was centered in the VirtualBox window.

Now the OpenSolaris screen changes size, including using the whole screen
in full screen mode!!!  Cool!

I still don't know how to get additional choices in the screen resolution
preferences, but with the ability to resize the screen that's not an important
issue for me anymore.

Thanks for your help!!!