List:       vbox-dev
Subject:    Re: [vbox-dev] OT: Desmond,
From:       Desmond Chapman <que_deseja () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-11 5:28:33

Read my statement within this reply to your email. It needs to be read by the list so \
                that they will not make such a mistake as you did.
> Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:58:16 -0400
> From: jasonspiro2@gmail.com
> To: que_deseja@hotmail.com
> Subject: OT: Desmond, here's why writing vbox-users will help VBox work on FreeBSD \
>                 sooner (was: Klaus & Wal)
> CC: vbox-dev@virtualbox.org
>
> 2008/10/10 Desmond Chapman  wrote:
> > 3) I am going to try importing linux headers. I will post the results or mail
> > them directly to certain peoples [who subscribe to] the list.
>
> Klaus and Knut are developers.  They have given us a free gift:
> VirtualBox, for Windows and Linux, for free, with source code.  Knut
> told you, "If you cannot help out getting the driver working, please
> do not post build problems or patches for FreeBSD. Fixing the build is
> easy and it's not what we need help with."
>
> In return for their free gift:
>
> 1.  We kindly ask that you not post anything related to building VBox
> on FreeBSD to this list.  Post it to
> http://www.virtualbox.org/mailman/listinfo/vbox-users instead.
> 2.  We kindly ask that you not mail such things to any list members
> without also CC'ing the list, unless you ask the members for
> permission first and they agree.

Read your statement below

> Here is why:
>
> You would like VBox to work on FreeBSD soon.  I think that also would
> be nice.  It is difficult to notice this by email, but I think they
> are probably angry because you disrespected their requests several
> times.  Every time you disrespect their requests do that, you probably
> make them angrier.  They may associate their anger with FreeBSD.

> Every time they think of FreeBSD, they may think of you and get angry
> again.  This will discourage them from porting VBox to FreeBSD or
> hiring somebody who can.

If they do so, it will be generalizing a group of people based on the impression of a \
single person. This is the same attitude that racists have.  Try not to stereotype. \
I'm sure that SUN doesn't want their product to be associated with such ideas. These \
statements that you made bothered me greatly.