List:       util-linux-ng
Subject:    Re: e2fsck: /dev/hda2 is mounted.
From:       "George Spelvin" <linux () horizon ! com>
Date:       2016-03-15 19:12:05

> The problem in this case is /dev/root, libmount tries to convert it to
> the real device name by root= command line option, but the conversion
> is pretty poor and it does not support all relevant use-cases.

Yes, that is a bit annoying.  It also breaks e4defrag.  I have a kludgey
script on my systems that parses /etc/fstab and creates a /dev/root
symlink, but of course there's no guarantee that fstab matches
the kernel root= command line.

If you feel like creating a makedevroot(8) utility (which creates a
symlink if it can, or a device node if it can't), I suspect it would
be appreciated.