List:       usrp-users
Subject:    Re: [USRP-users] B205 External Reference issue
From:       Marcus_Müller_via_USRP-users <usrp-users () lists ! ettus ! com>
Date:       2018-09-30 17:04:15

Hm, there's beauty to that, but also there's beauty in not letting the
oscillator drift of indefinitely after you've locked once.
So, the classical fastlock at startup/loss of reference lock, and then
increasingly reduced loop filter bandwidth would probably be even
better.
But that means relatively intrusive changes; you'd make `PFD_PERIOD_*`
adaptive, you adapt the `err` clip boundaries, `lock_margin` and so on;
the values used in b205_ref_pll are pretty certainly results of
physical-reality-based verification ¹. That's the point where you'd
spend serious point characterizing the long-time behaviour of something
that probably depends a lot on the characteristics of your clock source
(unless that clock source is way superior to anything on the USRP).
Also, that'd probably be the point where one would have to think about
replacing the well-understood rational ratio PFD control loop with
something more complex (and thus harder to make meet timing at
acceptable resource usage and quantization loss) like an extended
Kalman that can take the nonlinearities of the system into account.
To be perfectly honest, I don't see either happen very soon.

So, something like extending the state machine in b205_ref_pll to
another state that has a larger threshold until it drops back into an
adjusting state and adding a settings register to manually fiddle with
the state would be the quick and potentially hazardous solution here,
I'd guess.

Best regards,
Marcus

 ¹ a.k.a. experimentation