List:       usrp-users
Subject:    Re: [USRP-users] Use of an external 10 MHz or 1 PPS reference?
From:       Martin Braun via USRP-users <usrp-users () lists ! ettus ! com>
Date:       2015-06-19 22:44:55

Hi Andrew,

for completeness' sake, I'd like to point out that you're correct, it's
possible to derive one signal from another. Put simply, you can count 10
Million clock cycles, and you get a PPS from the 10 MHz. But when do you
start counting? If you need the PPS to deliver the same time to multiple
devices, that won't help. To generate a 10 MHz from a PPS, you can go a
similar (inverse) path, but because you only have a pulse per *second*,
your loop bandwidth of whatever PLL generates your 10 MHz would be
pretty small, and it would take a while to lock.

This is all extremely simplified! But I hope it gives you an idea why we
have both.

Cheers,