List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] Microsoft Exchange Server Equivalent?
From:       Martin Konold <konold () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-08 14:15:13

Am Mittwoch, 5. Januar 2005 21:43 schrieb Simon Waters:

Hi,

> Central contacts I have done with OpenLDAP before, at the time it
> was painful.

Kolab offer web based administration of global address books for adminstrators
and maintainers while personal address books are maintained by the Kolab
users themself.

http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/doc/proko2-doc/manageraddressbook.png?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

> The pain was getting decent free software management
> tools that did "just contacts" (ironically had I wanted to managed
> ISP customer authentication I could have had a wide choice of free
> LDAP software including almost complete free software ISP systems),

> stuff comes across when you NFS mount the users $HOME, although it
> would be desirable to have it in LDAP or other open standards for
> cross platform use, or web client use.

Using NFS for distributing address book data is a bad idea for many reasons
including, security, firewalls, performance, platform support, application
integration effort, data integrity, autentification.....

Regards,
-- martin

President next year."  -- 2004, Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany