List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    [Discuss] Yast as an configuration option
From:       Olafur Arason <olafura () hi ! is>
Date:       2004-04-18 16:38:07

Yast has been open sourced, abeit I haven't found a project on
forge.novell.com but I think it will be comming soon.

What yast ported to debian gives us is:
autoyast Install uselinux on computers through a network connection,
with an installed computer as a referance.
Configuration tool Yast has a powerfull structure for configuration that
can be ported to gtk.
Possibly intallation this has to be considered or just use
debian-installer connected to yast.

This means that we have to port yast to debian, debconf and possibly
debian-installer.
We also have to port yast to gtk, possibly though mono, for ease and
manageability.

But we will gain an an easy installation, configuration and deployment (
imagine installing 2000 desktop computers through a network installation
with a simple tool ).

This is easier than making our own tools plus there is an excisting
support and maintainence for this.

Olafur Arason.