List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] Novel idea: Keep the existing file structure
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2004-02-09 19:36:59

On February 09, 2004 02:59, Peter Kruse wrote:
> You are not serious, are you?  You want to change the file system
> hierarchy?  C'mon, thats absolutely ridiculous.

yes; changing the FS hierarchy will only undo years of work put into LSB'ing
the Linux world and mean creating years more work changing every piece of
software out there. we need more interop, not less! especially if we want
greater ISV support for our beloved OSes (in the plural).

that said, there are challenges with the current HFS layout, but only because
we tend to still believe that average users require access to, and therefore
understanding of, the file system. and this is simply not true. there are
three general categories of fs use that are needed by users:

 o Data. this is their $HOME directory, and that's straightforward. no need to
do anything special here. in fact, we're moving more and more to virtualizing
the $HOME space ...

 o Program installation (and de-installation). just as the file manager can be
an interface to program installation (drag and dropping of app packages), so
can a package manager GUI. in fact, one might argue (probably successfully)
that a file manager is a poor interface for software management. today's
software management tools and their GUIs are EASY to use and include things
like full text searching and automatic download and conflict resolution. with
these tools, the average user never needs to actually see where the packages
put their files; to the user the package tree IS the file system for apps.

 o Configuration. Again, given good defaults and good GUIs, this is a
non-issue. Not to mention that reorganizing the FS to make configuration
tasks "easier" by making config files "easier to find" is ignoring the real
problem which is complexity within the configuration directives.

for those possessing above-average needs and abilities who compile programs
from source or do wild and crazy things with their configurations, the UNIX
FS is not a barrier. it's actually quite consistent and easy to get around
for these folks.

therefore IMO, the FS should be optimized for _programs_ that must interact
with files and configurations as well as for advanced users that do the same
manually.

for everyone else: pretend the FS outside of ~/ doesn't even exist and
concentrate on more interesting topics =)

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

seems to me that
if i could find the right music