List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] measured service
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-02-02 18:37:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 02 February 2004 18:56, Peter Jakab wrote:
> Your words does make sense and I would add that this explains why KDE is
> more mature, because the developer tools are more mature.
> I still wish for better Gnome development tools, for people like me, who
> does need hand holding throughout the development.
If you need hand holding for development, pick the tutorials, examples and
learn how to program in C++ with Qt. Basically learning is an essential
requirement for mastering just any programming language :) and kdevelop can
suit you just fine for any of those, Qt or GTK.

Ralf

> Peter
>
> On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 12:30, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 February 2004 21:47, Peter Jakab wrote:
> > > When I started out to load an image from storage and put it out to (2D)
> > > display, the similarity in thinking of doing it, the code complexity,
> > > looked about the same for the GTK-WIN32, Qt-MFC, Java-.NET pairs. The
> > > number of lines of code dropped significantly for the last one. For the
> > > 3D application we tried java3D. That was a failure. So I would like to
> > > switch to OpenGL and to Linux with it. But if that is less cost
> > > effective, because of the less productivitve, higher cost development I
> > > may not have a choice. The market for my product has closed source
> > > solutions only. That is why I agree with Bruce on Qt.
> >
> > With KDE the line count drops again significantly, at least for certain
> > tasks (GUI creation -> one line: createGUI("myapp.rc"); network
> > transparent file access with KIO, a ready-made full featured editor, html
> > display, picture viewer, ...).
> >
> > You could also consider using one of the language bindings, e.g. RubyQt
> > (which is *very* cool IMHO).
> >
> > OTOH Qt is 1500$ for one developer on one platform, this is e.g. in
> > germany *much* less than one month salary of one developer.
> > For approx. twice as much you get your app on all three platforms at
> > once. If you develop the app separately for each platform you need to pay
> > each month two developers more, that's quickly saved by using Qt and only
> > one developer. So, for cross-platform Qt isn't expensive, at least in
> > Europe.
> >
> > Bye
> > Alex

> Perens LLC / 1563 Solano Ave. / PMB 349 / Berkeley CA 94707 / USA

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org